Susan Hosken from the Everyday Matter group tagged me with a questionnaire. Thank you Susan. :)
Seven Secret Things About Me
…that aren’t so secret now are they. hehe
- I used to be 5′ 11 and three-quarters of an inch tall (just shy of 6′ foot) and I am now 5’9″, which is how tall I was when I was nine years old…gravity or Osteoporosis? Both actually.
- I wear size 13 shoes and love wearing two-inch Cuban heels despite being terrified of heights.
- I taught Ballroom Dancing for two years in said two inch Cuban heels, 11 hours a day on hardwood floors, much fun. I love Latin dance.
- I have been bellydancing for about 12 years now and a drummer (Middle Eastern dhumbek) for just as long.
- I am writing a novel about a vampire character that I played live-action for two years when I ran the local LARP (live-action roleplay) group. I was once quoted in a college newspaper equating LARP as “interactive impromptu theatre”. When I ran the chapter we did blood drives…the local Civitan Blood Mobile would come out to the games and those that could would donate blood. I figured we had access to a lot of people, why not make it for something worthwhile. I founded a local Garou chapter (LARP werewolf) as well and we adopted the local Humane Society. LOL
- My daughter and I have the exact same birthmark in the exact same spot.
- I flunked College Algebra my senior year of high school; but so did the rest of my class so it may have been the teacher. Quite a few of us spent the summer at the community college before we could get our diplomas.
Twenty Random Things About Me
This one went across the EDM list a while ago as well so I thought I would add it here too. Very random…
- I used to love live-action roleplay (LARP) because it meant I got to write character backgrounds and act without memorizing any lines. LOL
- I adore sushi, but eat very little sashimi or raw stuff.
- My hair started turning white and silver when I was 20. I blame it on my first husband. :)
- I have been a freelance writer and artist for 21 years now.
- I love doing charity work and giving back to the community; it makes me feel good and it is what I want to instill in my daughter.
- My 6 year old daughter is my best friend.
- I love vintage ephemera and wandering through antique and junk stores for old postcards and things I can use in my art.
- My favorite colors are eggplant purple, old classic car powder pink, silver and the palest shade of glacier-sky blue.
- I only wear silver jewelry.
- I was named after Maria vonTrapp from The Sound of Music. My mother also loves West Side Story whose main heroine is also “Maria”; ironically my first husband’s name was Tony. hehe
- My grandmother, my mother and I are all November babies and born exactly two days apart: the 14th, the 17th and the 20th (me). Growing up we used to combine our birthdays and have huge parties.
- I will be 38 this year and my hair is 90% white with silver. I color it, my mother thinks I should let it go natural; she adores my hair adn wishes she had it. I have my grandmother’s hair; her’s if all white with streaks of red and silver in it. :)
- I want to live a long life but not quite as long as my 102 year old grandmother (who I adore). I don’t want to live so long that I forget the people I love and worry about having to bury my own children.
- I want to someday finish my Architectural Design degree.
- I keep a folder of elements I want to incorporate into the house I AM going to someday design and build. The house will be a mixture of several cultures.
- I am an artsy-fart in everything I do and I always try to create things that will serve more than one purpose.
- My mother raised me on old movies, swing and big band music (my uncle has a band). I grew up with a crush on Danny Kaye. hehe Still have it.
- One of my favorite things to listen to when I am writing is movie and game soundtracks. My favorites for my novel right now are the soundtracks from the Firefly TV series, the Serenity movie (Firefly), and the soundtrack for the Myst: Exile computer game.
- I collect children’s books and once had 5 of the 14 original, first edition, hard cover Oz books. I sold them to someone who would care for them properly; he let me scan the illustrations first. I adore the engravings. I found them in a small used bookstore but I couldn’t afford to buy the other to they’d had there (I’d have had 7 of them). I am going through my book collection and will be selling some on eBay soon; all first editions. (not the children’s books though)
- I love anthropology and am very eclectic. I love culture and art globally and enjoy multi-cultural studies. Hindu/Indian art is among my favorites but I enjoy all forms of expression throughout the world.